Connect with us

News & Entertainment

Man Murders Couple & Rapes 2 Year Old Just Hours After Release From Prison, Cops Say

A 24-year-old man has been charged with killing an elderly couple and raping their 2-year-old great-grandchild, in a crime that occurred just hours after he was released from prison in a separate sexual-assault case, state officials said on Tuesday. Jerry Active was arrested on Saturday by police and has been charged in the murders of…

Published

on

A 24-year-old man has been charged with killing an elderly couple and raping their 2-year-old great-grandchild, in a crime that occurred just hours after he was released from prison in a separate sexual-assault case, state officials said on Tuesday.
Jerry Active was arrested on Saturday by police and has been charged in the murders of Sorn Sreap, 71, and her husband, Touch Chea, 73, and the rape of the toddler they were babysitting that night. Active is also charged with raping Sreap.

The elderly victims’ bodies had signs of blunt-force trauma, but autopsies will determine the cause of death, the Anchorage Police Department said in a statement. Active could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted of the murders and rapes.

Active, who had pleaded guilty to breaking into a Dillingham, Alaska, home in 2009 and sexually assaulting a child and other residents, was released from prison on probation on Saturday morning after serving part of a seven-year sentence, said Kaci Schroeder, a spokeswoman for the Alaska Department of Corrections.

It was not immediately clear why Active was allowed to serve less than his full sentence. Schroeder said she did not have certain details about his case.
He was released from prison in Anchorage at 8:09 a.m. Saturday, about 12 hours before the crimes were reported, Schroeder said.
The toddler’s parents returned home from a movie and found the suspect naked in a bedroom with the child and the great-grandparents dead, said the Anchorage police statement. The parents confronted the suspect, but he escaped, police said.

Active was arraigned on Sunday, with bail set at $1.5 million, according to court records. A state judge on Tuesday scheduled a June 5 preliminary hearing. A public defender for Active could not be reached for comment.
Active has a lengthy court record, with several misdemeanor arrests prior to the 2009 felony case. He was first released on the Dillingham case on October 2, 2011, but violated probation and was sent back to prison two days later, according to records Schroeder released.
Since then he has been in and out of prison after committing other probation violations, Schroeder said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

News & Entertainment

Veterans Affairs Gives 1,300 Vets Unproven COVID-19 Drug Touted By Trump

Published

on

The federal Department of Veterans Affairs has been giving 1,300 veterans hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the coronavirus since late March — even though the drug has not been proven to be effective against the illness and may even trigger fatal heart problems.

In a study of 100,000 patients with COVID-19 published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet, patients who received hydroxychloroquine had a “significantly higher risk of death” compared to those who were not given the drug. “We were unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine” on in-hospital outcomes for COVID-19, the researchers concluded.

An April study of veterans who were given the drug — relentlessly hawked by President Donald Trump — produced similar findings.

Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie said in a letter Friday to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) that despite mounting concerns about the drug, the VA will continue to use hydroxychloroquine for veterans.

Revelations of the use of the controversial antimalarial drug have sparked concerns about the effects it may have on veterans, many of whom are older and have underlying health conditions that make them more susceptible to a fatal side effect of the drug: heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.

“Veterans’ groups remain deeply concerned that the VA has made large purchases of this drug and appears to have administered it to veterans despite the well-known, and in some cases, fatal risks,” Schumer wrote Wilkie earlier this month.

After Wilkie’s letter on Friday, Schumer responded in a statement later that day, saying, “This drug may be useless or even harmful for COVID-19 patients, but the VA continues to administer it to hundreds of vets. Why are we just learning this?”

“We need to know what the basis was for using this drug against the consensus of science, which called into question its effectiveness in treating COVID-19,” he continued. “We also need to know who is authorizing these new trials, what facilities are participating and what families are being told.”

Trump has been aggressively pitching hydroxychloroquine since March, even though the drug had not yet undergone clinical trials examining its effectiveness against COVID-19.

“What do we have to lose?” he asked during a briefing.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization have both warned against using the drug to treat COVID-19.

Last Monday, the president attacked a study of veterans treated with the drug that showed no benefits against the coronavirus. He called the findings a “Trump enemy statement,” insisting they were politically motivated. He then claimed that he had been taking the drug for weeks, though he stopped on Friday.

The Trump administration ordered 29 million doses of hydroxychloroquine before it underwent trials for COVID-19 treatment. The VA also bulk-ordered some 6.3 million doses, according to Wilkie’s letter.

Continue Reading

News & Entertainment

Prince Harry and Prince William Are Back on Speaking Terms, A Royal Friend Revealed

Published

on

It’s been a tough few years for Prince Harry and Prince William‘s relationship, with rumors of a royal feud cropping up long before Harry, in ITV documentary Harry & Meghan: An African Journey, acknowledged all wasn’t well between the brothers.

“Part of this role and part of this job and this family, being under the pressure that it’s under, stuff happens but we’re brothers,” Harry said in the doc. “We’ll always be brothers, and we’re certainly on different paths at the moment, but I’ll always be there for him, and he’ll always be there for me. We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we’re so busy, but I love him dearly, and the majority of the stuff is created out of nothing, but you know, as brothers you have good days, you have bad days.”

Well, it sounds like things are finally on the up between the princes. Speaking to royal correspondent Katie Nicholl of the Sunday Times, an unnamed friend said the brothers started talking more after father Prince Charles was diagnosed with coronavirus, from which he has since recovered. “I don’t think it’s returned to everything being rosy, but it is better,” the friend explained. “Hearing their father wasn’t well helped bring them back together and there is now more regular communication.” Happy to hear it!

Continue Reading

News & Entertainment

Chuck E. Cheese Pizza Changes Name on Grubhub to Pasqually’s Pizza

Published

on

Children’s restaurant chain Chuck E. Cheese is making its Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings premium offering available through Grubhub, which confused some customers.

Pasqually’s is a product of Chuck E. Cheese parent CEC Entertainment and represents an upgrade from the children’s pizza the chain is known for.

“CEC Entertainment, Inc. recently launched Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings nationwide. The inspiration was rooted in the desire to create a premium pizza while staying true to the CEC brand,” a Chuck E. Cheese spokesperson told Food & Wine.

Pasqually’s shares kitchen space with Chuck E. Cheese, which the company says will help ensure “high quality, fresh ingredients.”

CEC Entertainment responded after potential customers noticed that Pasqually’s and Chuck E. Cheese shared the same landing page on the online food delivery app GrubHub.

“While Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings recipes are currently only available for delivery, select items might be added to the Chuck E. Cheese menu in the future,” the company said.

In April, Chuck E. Cheese said that venue sales for the first quarter were down nearly 22% year over year. The company reiterated that it expected all 550 of its company-operated venues to sustain a loss for as long as the coronavirus is an issue.

The company has operated 520 of its 550 restaurants in a third-party and delivery capacity while furloughing most of its hourly employees and 65% of its support center personnel.

Chuck E. Cheese said in an April 7 regulatory filing that it was not currently paying rent, which approximates to about $7 million a month.

Continue Reading

Trending

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This