Connect with us

News & Entertainment

Broadway Star Nick Cordero Dies at 41 from Coronavirus Complications

Over the course of 13 weeks, the Tony Award-nominated star woke up from a medically-induced coma and underwent a leg amputation due to COVID-19 complications

Published

on

Broadway star Nick Cordero has died after a months-long battle with the coronavirus. He was 41.

Cordero, whose Broadway credits include Waitress and Rock of Ages, died on Sunday morning at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he had been hospitalized for over 90 days.

He is survived by his wife Amanda Kloots, whom he wed in September 2017, and their 1-year-old son Elvis Eduardo.

“God has another angel in heaven now. My darling husband passed away this morning. He was surrounded in love by his family, singing and praying as he gently left this earth. ⠀ I am in disbelief and hurting everywhere. My heart is broken as I cannot imagine our lives without him. Nick was such a bright light. He was everyone’s friend, loved to listen, help and especially talk. He was an incredible actor and musician. He loved his family and loved being a father and husband. Elvis and I will miss him in everything we do, everyday,” she wrote on Instagram Sunday.

“To Nicks extraordinary doctor, Dr. David Ng, you were my positive doctor! There are not many doctors like you. Kind, smart, compassionate, assertive and always eager to listen to my crazy ideas or call yet another doctor for me for a second opinion. You’re a diamond in the rough,” Kloots continued.

“I cannot begin to thank everyone enough for the outpour of love , support and help we’ve received these last 95 days. You have no idea how much you lifted my spirits at 3pm everyday as the world sang Nicks song, Live Your Life. We sang it to him today, holding his hands. As I sang the last line to him, ‘they’ll give you hell but don’t you light them kill your light not without a fight. Live your life,’ I smiled because he definitely put up a fight. I will love you forever and always my sweet man,” she concluded.

Kloots revealed on March 31 that her husband was in intensive care and “having a hard time breathing” after being diagnosed with pneumonia. Days later, the fitness trainer revealed that her husband was in “stable” condition, but that doctors were still confirming the cause of his health crisis. “Two negative COVID tests. Doctors are convinced though that it is COVID so they did a third test,” she wrote, adding that her husband was responding “well to the medication for COVID.”

Nick Cordero (L) and his wife Amanda Kloots

His third test came back positive for coronavirus.

Although Cordero fell ill in early March, his symptoms were initially intermittent and didn’t seem to align with those frequently associated with COVID-19. “He could not get out of bed, so tired, no energy, that was really his only symptom,” she told BuzzFeed News at the time.

However, in late March, his symptoms worsened and Cordero began experiencing trouble breathing. After going into the emergency room, Cordero told his wife he would be moved to the ICU, and one day later, he called to say doctors had decided to put him on a ventilator.

“He said, ‘I love you, they have decided to put me on a ventilator with a breathing tube and I’m gonna go unconscious and I don’t know when I’ll wake up, and I don’t know when I’ll be able to talk to you again,’ ” Kloots told BuzzFeed News.

While Cordero’s health initially stabilized in the hospital, in the second week of April, Cordero’s health took a turn.

On April 10, Kloots shared that her husband was “fighting for his life,” and the following day, she spoke about his worsening health. “We had really great progress and then yesterday I got a phone call saying he had an infection in his lung, a new infection, that caused his fever to spike way above normal, which caused his blood pressure to drop, which caused his heart to go into [an] irregular pattern,” the fitness instructor said. “He lost consciousness, he lost his pulse and they had to resuscitate him. It was very scary. They had a very hard time getting him back.”

Hours later, she learned that her husband had to go undergo emergency surgery, as a machine he had been placed on to help “support his heart and lungs” was “stopping blood flow to his right leg.”

After making it out of surgery alive, Cordero remained in “very critical condition.”

“He is struggling. Just every minute counts right now,” she said, as she implored their fans and loved ones to keep her husband in their prayers.

The following week, Kloots shared that her husband’s leg would need to be amputated, due to coronavirus complications. In the days following the amputation, Kloots told fans that they were “in a bit of waiting game,” sharing that doctors believed that the actor “should have woken up by now” after performing an MRI scan. She also said that doctors hoped to be able to take Cordero off of a ventilator in the coming days.

By April 24, Kloots had some good news to share with her husband’s fans: he had tested negative for COVID-19. However, hours later, she shared that doctors decided to put in a temporary pacemaker after Cordero began experiencing irregular heartbeats.

Days later, the father of one “ended up getting an infection in his lungs” that spread to his blood, causing him to go into “a little bit of a septic shock” after developing a fever, according to Kloots. Cordero’s doctors later told Kloots that her husbands lungs had become “severely damaged to look almost like he’s been a smoker for 50 years.”

“They’re that damaged,” Kloots shared in an update on April 30. “There are holes in his lungs where obviously you don’t want holes to be.”

Cordero woke up from his medically induced coma on May 12 almost two weeks after undergoing a tracheostomy procedure. At the time, his wife said that he was “extremely weak, so weak that he can’t close his mouth” but “following commands, which means his mental status is coming back.”

However, Cordero continued to deal with lingering issues in his lungs. Though doctors had been cleaning out Cordero’s lungs daily, Kloots said that it was “not getting better.”

During Cordero’s hospitalization for coronavirus complications, the actor also suffered “two mini strokes” and “needed resuscitation,” according to Kloots. “He had no pre-existing health conditions. We do not know how he got COVID-19 but he did,” she wrote in an Instagram post on May 8. “This disease does not only effect old people. This is real. A perfectly healthy 41 year old man!”

In June, after 79 days of not being able to visit Cordero in the hospital due to coronavirus safety guidelines and visitor restrictions, Kloots was finally able to visit her husband at the L.A. hospital and shared a photo of them holdings hands at his bedside. That same month, Kloots told fans that although Cordero was unable to move or talk. “He can’t talk because of the ventilator and he can’t move because he’s so weak,” she said. “But he’s awake and he’s in there. He can answer questions with yes or no with his eyes.”

Cordero’s muscles had begun to atrophy due to his lack of movement, resulting in a significant 65 lbs. weight loss, according to his wife.

On July 2, Cordero underwent a procedure to have his temporary pacemaker removed, according to Kloots. Then, the next day, Kloots got candid about the realities of her husband’s condition while addressing some “negativity” she’s been seeing on her social media, explaining that she has continued to focus on her business amid Cordero’s hospitalization because she’s unsure “if he’ll be ever able to work again.”

“My husband has been in the ICU for 91 days. We don’t know if he’ll make it. I hope and pray every single day of my life that he does. But, if he does make it, I don’t know when he’ll be able to work again,” she said at the time. “I have a family. I have bills. I have no idea what Nick’s hospital bills are going to be. I haven’t even tried to wrap my head around that yet. I have a mortgage. I have a car payment. I have a son that is one years old that I want to send to college one day, or at least give him whatever I can.”

The mother of one recently spoke about how her husband’s fighting spirit. “They told me four times that he won’t survive. Sometimes even he won’t survive through the night, but he has,” Kloots told CBS This Morning. “He’s fighting. I see it every day. Nick’s doctor sees it. And as long as he’s in there and fighting, I’ll continue to fight with him.”

In support of Cordero’s family, a GoFundMe page was created to raise funds for his medical bills.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

code

Breaking News

Capitol Rioter Screams at Cops Asking Them to Call for Backup to Combat Mob

Published

on

Not every Trumper at the U.S. Capitol was down with the siege … or at least so it appears based on this one MAGA cap-wearing man’s convo with Capitol Police in the middle of the riot.

Check out this clip that just surfaced from Jan. 6, when the guy approached a group of Capitol Police officers who were standing off to the side … while the mob stormed into the building.

The man’s words here are telling … he asks why the cops are letting this happen, and why they haven’t called for backup — noting this is the U.S. FREAKIN’ CAPITOL THAT’S BEING INVADED, and that these people storming it are “out for blood.”

Anyway, the officers didn’t seem to respond at all, and the man continued his diatribe … telling them that if no extra help was on the way, it means they don’t care about what’s happening to the Capitol.

A supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump smashes a window using a baseball bat during a “Stop the Steal” protest outside of the Capitol building in Washington D.C. U.S. January 6, 2021. Picture taken January 6, 2021. REUTERS/Stephanie Keith

The whole thing is pretty ironic — a clear Trump supporter right in the thick of the action denouncing the act of breaching the premises. Now, we have no idea what his motives were here, or if he was genuinely separating himself from the illegal activity.

We’ll say this … he does seem to rejoin the mob as the video ends, but we have no way of knowing if he actually went inside the Capitol.

As we first reported, the FBI is investigating a possible Capitol inside job that allowed the siege to take place. And, of course, the Capitol Police Chief resigned too … not to mention multiple suspensions and firings that have taken place since.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell says Trump provoked deadly Capitol riot

Published

on

  • President Donald Trump and others provoked the swarms of his supporters that stormed the U.S. Capitol, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
  • “The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people,” McConnell said on the Senate floor.
  • McConnell’s remarks came as he and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer work to hash out details on Trump’s impending impeachment trial.
  • The remarks also came the day before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in as president.
Supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump gather at the west entrance of the Capitol during a “Stop the Steal” protest outside of the Capitol building in Washington D.C. U.S. January 6, 2021. Picture taken January 6, 2021. REUTERS/Stephanie Keith

President Donald Trump and others provoked the swarms of his supporters that stormed the U.S. Capitol, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday.

“The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people,” McConnell said on the Senate floor, which two weeks earlier had been evacuated after the crowd of rioters invaded the building.

The remarks from McConnell, R-Ky., came as he and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., worked to hash out details on Trump’s impending impeachment trial. Trump was impeached in the Democrat-led House last week in a 232-197 vote, with 10 Republicans voting in favor of impeachment.

Trump is the only president in U.S. history to be impeached twice.

The GOP leader made the direct link between the Republican president’s rhetoric and the Jan. 6 riot, which left five dead, the day before President-elect Joe Biden was set to be sworn in as the 46th president.

McConnell has rebuffed pressure from Democrats to hold that trial before Trump leaves office, but he has told colleagues that he is undecided on whether Trump should be convicted in the Senate for inciting the riot.

McConnell’s remarks also suggested that other leaders bore responsibility for the attack. A growing chorus of critics have called on some lawmakers, especially GOP Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley, to resign after they objected to key states’ electoral results.

McConnell had congratulated Biden on his victory in mid-December, more than a month after the Nov. 3 election.

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on McConnell’s latest remarks.

Trump, who exhorted the crowd at a rally outside the White House to “fight like hell” and head to the Capitol to overturn the 2020 election, has insisted that his remarks just before the riot were “totally appropriate.”

In that speech, Trump repeated the incendiary and false claim that he had been robbed of reelection by widespread electoral fraud. He once again vowed that he would never concede to Biden, and he urged his supporters to go to the Capitol to “cheer on” Republican lawmakers who had vowed to object to the results.

“We’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong,” Trump also said.

Many of his supporters attending that rally walked directly across the National Mall to the Capitol, where a joint session of Congress had convened to confirm Biden’s Electoral College victory. Rioters broke through barricades and lines of law enforcement officers and entered the Capitol, forcing Congress into hiding. Among them was Vice President Mike Pence, who was presiding over the event.

After McConnell’s remarks, Schumer said on the Senate floor that “Donald Trump should not be eligible to run for office ever again.”

“Healing and unity will only come if there is truth and accountability,” Schumer said.

“There will be an impeachment trial in the United States Senate, there will be a vote on convicting the president for high crimes and misdemeanors, and if the president is convicted, there will be a vote on barring him from running again,” Schumer said.

Trump, who has acknowledged the coming end to his one term in office without conceding to Biden, has not called his successor, nor has he invited him to the White House before the inauguration.

Pence last week called Vice President-elect Kamala Harris to congratulate her and offer his assistance before she is sworn in.

Continue Reading

News & Entertainment

Investigators looking into planning of Capitol riot

Published

on

Federal authorities are working to determine the level of planning and coordination among insurgents, including members of law enforcement and the military, that carried out the attack last week on the US Capitol, law enforcement officials said.Among the questions federal prosecutors and investigators are pursuing: Was there a plan to capture and hold hostage members of Congress, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, whose name was invoked in angry chants by people who stormed a joint session of Congress to try to stop certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s victory over President Donald Trump. People in military-style gear, some carrying zip-tie restraints, were seen in videos and photos participating in the ransacking of the Capitol, raising the question of whether capturing lawmakers — or even Vice President Mike Pence — was the goal, according to a federal law enforcement official.

Two men carrying plastic restraints during Capitol riot charged by fedsActing US Attorney Michael Sherwin told NPR that “hundreds” of people could be facing charges, from destruction of property to murder, for participating in the insurrection. Sherwin said that there would be some challenges because hundreds of suspects were able to leave the scene.”I don’t want this tyranny of labels saying this was sedition, this was a coup,” Sherwin said.Before the Trump rally on Wednesday, federal and local law enforcement agencies shared raw intelligence showing that some people associated with extremist groups, including some with White supremacist ideologies, were expected to flock to Washington at Trump’s urging, according to law enforcement officials briefed on the intelligence. One official said the regional level intelligence reports were broadly shared, including with the US Capitol Police. But the officials said, none of the intelligence reports suggested any plots to attack the Capitol. Much of the information was so-called open-source reporting, based on social media and extremist sites on the Internet, where discussions among planned rally-goers shared some of Trump’s false claims about a stolen election.close dialog

WASHINGTON DC, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, UNITED STATES – 2021/01/06: Protesters seen all over Capitol building where pro-Trump supporters riot and breached the Capitol. Rioters broke windows and breached the Capitol building in an attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 election. Police used batons and tear gas grenades to eventually disperse the crowd. Rioters used metal bars and tear gas as well against the police. (Photo by Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)

“It was a lot of noise, like there always is,” said one federal law enforcement official who reviewed intelligence reports from before the Trump rally.More than 20 arrests on federal charges made since Wednesday have largely focused on some of the relatively easy to identify insurrectionists, many of whom proudly posted on social media or even livestreamed their participation, law enforcement officials said.The harder work now is to try to build potential domestic terrorism cases against people who helped engineer the attack, one federal law enforcement official said.In a news conference Friday, a federal prosecutor in Washington told reporters that investigators in some cases are using initial charges to try to arrest people, while they continue to investigate what other possible charges to bring.That includes looking into possible foreign ties for some suspects; one woman arrested asked for a Russian translator during her court hearing last week.”The goal here is to really to identify people and get them at least what we call placeholder charges initially and then we look deeper into how these individuals came here, how much planning was involved, and any actors domestic or foreign,” said Ken Kohl, the acting principal assistant US Attorney in Washington.Amid that effort is an equally urgent one to prepare for more potential violence from groups that are planning to come to Washington before and during the Biden inauguration.The FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies are redoubling efforts to try to identify people who could be planning violence.The fact Wednesday’s mob managed to overwhelm an unprepared Capitol Police force has likely emboldened others who may want to try something similar either in Washington, or in states around the country, officials say. That includes foreign terrorist groups that have always had the US Capitol as a top target.

Continue Reading

Trending

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This